Creative Writing Seminars
Applying for Admission to the English & Creative Writing Seminars
Applicants must have declared the English & Creative Writing major and they must have reached sophomore standing, with at least 24 hours completed at the University of Iowa. Transfer students who fall under this amount should consult with the English Honors Program director.
Submit your portfolio during the one-week window, by way of the online portal. Information about steps to take for this webform application process is available below.
Spring 2020 Seminars in creative writing will be ENGL 4012: Honors Seminar in Fiction taught by Prof. Bennett Sims and ENGL 4013: Honors Seminar in Poetry taught by Prof. Justin Cox.
Submission Guidelines for Honors Seminars in Fiction and Nonfiction – FALL 2019
- Submissions are accepted through this webform (https://workflow.uiowa.edu/form/english-cwh-portfolios) for one week only: October 7-14. Submissions received outside that period may not be considered.
- In the webform, select either FICTION or POETRY. You may submit to only one course, not to both.
- Upload, as a single file, up to 15 pages of FICTION or 15 pages of POETRY. For FICTION, this may be one piece, multiple short pieces, or part of a larger project, as long as the document does not exceed 15 pages in length (double-spaced). For POETRY, this should be 5 poems of any length, not to exceed 15 pages total. Submissions above 15 pages may be disqualified.
- For FICTION, please use standard manuscript format (double-spaced, 12-point type, margins of at least one inch, pages numbered).
- Again, you may only submit to one of the courses. Multiple submissions may be disqualified.
Call for applications: Monday, October 7
Application deadline: Monday, October 14
Report-back date: by Friday, November 8
Early registration: Monday, November 11