You are here

Advising for Currently Enrolled Students

advisor sitting at desk assisting student

 Declared English majors with fewer than 24 semester hours completed are officially advised in the Academic Advising Center, but the advisors are happy to discuss English major requirements at any point in a student’s academic career.

If you are interested in the Pre-Law 3+3 Program as an English major or certain double-majors that are common for English majors, you can find sample plans for those at the bottom of this page.

This video is an introduction to the department and every major should watch it. 

Academic Advisor for English and English & Creative Writing:

     Image of dark haired woman
Kate Torno 

Office: 308D EPB  (enter through English main office,308, and wait in either sitting area)                                                                                                                          

Hours: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. (including 12-1, the office door may be closed but please just knock)

In person in 308 on Mondays and Fridays

On zoom Tuesday-Thursday

Phone: 319-335-0457
See below for walk-in advising hours and appointment scheduling

Kate Torno works with all undergraduate English majors including those interested in the English & Creative Writing major,  English Honors Program, and the Publishing Track.  She works with students who are seeking internships in their senior year.  She also meets with English minors and students considering English coursework for electives

Academic Advisor for English and Creative Writing and Communication Studies:  

Allison Wanger
Office: 310A EPB  (enter through Zimansky Reading Room, 310, and wait in sitting area)

Hours: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (lunch 12-1, except Mondays)

In person in 310 on Wednesdays and Thursdays.  In zoom Mon, Tue and Friday

Phone: 319-335-0460

See below for walk-in advising hours and appointment scheduling

Allison Wanger works with all English and English and Creative Writing majors but also knows Communications Studies.  She also studied in American Studies and can discuss that subject with students.


Drop In Advising Hours

No appointment necessary. Stop in with quick questions about requirements, to receive a signature on add/drop forms, or if you have brief inquiries about other topics.  Students will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis. If you think your question will take more than five minutes, please schedule an appointment during office hours so that the advisors can give you their attention without the distraction of other students popping in with questions. These hours are updated on the scheduler so check there each day if you are in doubt. 

check your MyUI account under Appointments to check hours for drop ins.

Office hours will not be held on University holidays 

Scheduling an Advising Appointment

Schedule an appointment if you have detailed questions about such things as: your degree audit and requirements, study abroad, careers or graduate school opportunities, or you need to complete financial aid (SAP) forms.  Appointments cannot be scheduled during Walk-in Hours.

If you are a declared English major, please use the Online Scheduler.  The scheduler is also found in MyUI under Advising Appointments.   If you are making a full academic plan or have a complicated situation, you might want to schedule two back-to-back appointments to get more time.  

If you are not a declared English major or have trouble scheduling an appointment online, please email Kate at or call the English office at 319-335-0457. 

If you are a prospective student, please contact the Office of Admissions at 319-335-1569 to coordinate a departmental visit along with other campus visit opportunities.


Registration serves as a good time to check your academic progress by reviewing your degree audit on MyUI.   Sophomores are required to see their advisor before Early Registration, although all students are encouraged to do so to ensure they are staying on track towards graduation. Most early registration appointments are only 20 minutes long so if you are really unsure of your registration plans, you might want to schedule a longer appointment in the weeks BEFORE Early Registration starts. 

Registration dates and times are assigned by the Registrar’s Office and are based on the number of semester hours earned and/or special circumstances.  Be sure to check your registration date and time, as well as any possible registration holds that may be on your account, prior to the start of Early Registration.

During Early Registration students are allowed to register for up to 16 semester hours.  Once Early Registration ends, students may register for up to 18 semester hours; in order to take more than 18 hours, students need to seek special permission from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and your advisor's signature on a form.

Although students are encouraged to seek advice and assistance from academic advisors and faculty members, formal responsibility for meeting degree requirements rests with the student.

Declaring/Dropping a Major or Minor

To add or drop an English-related major you may see an advisor in English.  To add or drop other majors contact the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Office of Academic Programs and Student Development: 120 Schaeffer Hall; 319-335-2633;

To add or drop a minor or certificate, log in to MyUI and click on the Student Records tab at the top of the page.  Click on Programs of Study and Advisor and then make the appropriate changes.

Pre-Law 3 +3 Program for English Majors

Transfer Students:  If you plan to be at the University of Iowa for only two years, please have completed all four semesters of college level foreign language before you arrive.  Having most of your general education courses (math, science,etc.) done as well would be helpful.  

Understanding Your Degree

You are at The University of Iowa, in the College of Liberal Arts, as an English major.   That means when you graduate you will get a diploma that says Bachelor of Arts from the University of Iowa.   Your transcript will say that you earned an English major or English and Creative Writing major.  It might also say Publishing track.    If you earn additional majors or minors they will be listed on the transcript.

 If you earn a certificate, you will get a 2nd piece of paper, besides the diploma, and it will say Certificate of X.  If you end up with an office some day the thing that is framed is usually the diploma that says B.A. and any Certificate.   If you are writing a resume, you list B.A. degree from the University of Iowa.  Then you can word your majors, minors and certificates however you choose the wording.  For example an English major might list English major with concentration in British poetry, English major, Creative Writing focus, and minor in Philosophy.  

Career Information:  

English @ Work: ENGL 2040  This 1 s.h. course meets once a week each semester and prepares seniors for their job search and helps them think about their career.  Juniors can also take the course if they are unsure about future plans.  All English majors may attend the English @ Work sessions that host alum to speak about their careers.  Videos from previous alum can be seen on the computer in our Career Corner in 308 EPB. 

Life After College
Students are encouraged to call the Pomerantz Career Center and schedule a meeting with Garry Klein or other career center staff as early as your sophomore year to discuss possible internships, work or volunteer opportunities and career exploration. Jenny Noyce is another resource at Pomerantz who can help you plan experiential learning opportunities and decide how to best promote the experiences you've had.   If you are interested in an internship, please see your advisor during your junior or senior year to discuss opportunities.  Don't wait until your senior year to think about life after college!  See our career page. 

Are You Growth or Fixed Mindset?

Take the Quiz