English Honors Program
Would you like to...
- take honors courses in English that improve your writing and research skills?
- work one-on-one with a faculty member to complete an honors project?
- take classes with other motivated students who share a similar love of language and learning?
- choose a project tailored to your interests?
- prepare yourself for graduate or professional school?
- graduate with honors in English?
The English Honors Program (EHP) offers these opportunities and more. Graduating with honors in English takes at least three semesters, so take a look at our membership requirements and join as soon as you qualify.
Join the English Honors Program
In order to join the EHP, you must be an English major, have at least a 3.33 UI GPA*, and be interested in taking on the challenge of honors work. We recommend that students earn an A- or better in two or three English courses before enrolling in honors coursework.
Here is some basic information about the program. Click HERE for document with information.
To join the English Honors Program, please complete our online information form.
*Students with a lower GPA, strong interest in an honors courses, and willingness to work hard can also do well in our courses. If this is your case, please explain this in your responses on our information form. In compliance with the University Honors Program, students must have at least a 3.33 UI GPA and a 3.5 English GPA at the time of graduation in order to graduate with honors in English.
Other Opportunities for Honors Students after graduation
These competitive programs require students to prepare during their junior year even though you would not participate under after your senior year. Consult with your advisor.