Medieval & Early Modern Literature & Culture
Challenging traditional notions of periodization, medievalists and early modernists at Iowa bring insights from contemporary theory to bear on the diverse literary and cultural history of Britain before 1700. We offer a wide range of courses that explore the clash of competing cultures, the development of a vernacular literature, the growth of national identity, the impact of new technologies, the effects of religious reform, and the rise of the commercial theatre. Students benefit from related courses in History, Art History, Theatre, Music, and the Center for the Book.
Sample courses in the Medieval & Early Modern specialty:
- Early Modern Drama and Culture
- Honors Proseminar: Gothic
- Literature and Culture of the Middle Ages: Sin & Confession
- Elementary Old English and Old English: Beowulf
- Chaucer: The Canterbury Tales